Friday, November 5, 2010

Stealing's Okay if You're Online

It seems that, as long as you're publishing online, everything you do is perfectly liable to be used, improved, and abused by anyone who feels like it, at least according to editor Judith Griggs (Cook's Source magazine). After pilfering an electronically posted recipe, Griggs has the gall to go so far as to say the author's lucky to not be charged for the improvements made to her piece. Would it be ungracious to retort with something along the lines of: "I won't charge you for the paper my lawyer uses to print your court summons on?" Either way, the story's been taken up by Nick Mamatas, facebook at large, Dazed Rambling, Smart Bitches Trashy Books, Neil Gaiman, John Scalzi, and the Guardian, a host of other newspapers, and others.

Griggs did respond, saying:

Hi Folks!

Well, here I am with egg on my face! I did apologise to Monica via email, but aparently it wasnt enough for her. To all of you, thank you for your interest in Cooks Source and Again, to Monica, I am sorry — my bad!
You did find a way to get your "pound of flesh..." we used to have 110 "friends," we now have 1,870... wow!

...Best to all, Judith


Well, okay then, you said you were sorry. No harm done, right? Besides being condescending, rude, and outright thieving - from Monica and others - but whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment