Wednesday, November 3, 2010

National Novel Writing Month

It’s November, and, for those of you who don’t know, that means it’s time for National Novel Writing Month, where the moderately insane try and write fifty thousand words or more in thirty days or less. I participated last year and won, though it was more of a word count win than I completed novel win, and I’m at it again.

I don’t want this blog to be self promotional in nature, so I’m not going to be posting huge writing samples or anything like that. The one thing that I will do is, every Saturday, make a NaNo post, not because I think people are particularly interested in my success, but rather because the thought of publicly announcing my failure – which, if I must, I shall do – is liable to keep me on track. This post will not count for either the week’s review or its other content, whatever that may be, and you’re free to ignore it if you couldn’t care less. If you’re participating, though, feel free to check up with your own word counts and perhaps embarrass yourself to new heights.

But how does this affect you, readers of this (mighty fine) blog for the rest of the week? Well, I’m hoping that it doesn’t, at least not significantly. Blogging is, unsurprisingly, a rather large time investment, and writing a minimum of 1667 words a day is the same. I have November’s content all mapped out – the standard reviews as well as an article or two that I think will be of interest – and don’t anticipate a problem there, but the percentage of books read this month that I review will probably be lower than average, as will my total books read.

Anyway, the standard Up and Coming post will be up tomorrow.

1 comment: