Wednesday, December 1, 2010

National Novel Writing Month, Conclusion

So here we are at the end. In total, I wrote 76,381 words. Seriously. Of those, just over eighteen thousand were written yesterday and the day before; Monday was the most I’ve ever written in a single day, and Tuesday wasn’t far behind. The book itself is coming along well, though nowhere near done. Most of those eighteen thousand words were, unfortunately, spent on an event that I assumed would take a single chapter, but I guess that's what I get for hilariously poor outlining.

I’m not sure if it’s a good thing, but the word count’s going to lead to yet another pile of books to join the vast number that are already coming my way for the holidays. For every five thousand words after 50k, I didn’t think I’d make it to the next landmark. So I set prizes of sorts. If you make sixty thousand, I told myself, you can have Grin of the Dark, say. But I just kept making it, and that’s where the problems come in. Though I guess it’s a nice problem to have.

This is, in case you were growing worried, the last time I’ll discuss my own writing until, I guess, NaNo next year short of some sort of publication related miracle.

So, anyone else out there got a NaNo success story?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome man, way to hit goal after goal after goal. I quit fairly early on, but it was an experiment of sorts I suppose, heh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm a NaNo success, but I am done with my draft at 50K. My drafts are really, really short. It's through revisions that I achieve most of what I want done.

    ReplyDelete