Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Mission Statement

There are a lot of review blogs out there. Amongst all of them, the sensible thing to do would be to try to differentiate oneself. That could be difficult, though. Amidst this many bloggers, mostly following the same general format, what can one do that will be truly original, while still remaining useful to the only part of the equation that really matters, the readers?

Whatever it is, I haven’t thought of it. I don’t have a single catchphrase that reveals – RIGHT THERE AND THEN – what I’m offering that no one else is. Popularity would be nice. I doubt all that many people would complain about being quoted on book jackets, or being courted by their favorite authors. I’m pretty aware that it’s not going to happen to me, at least not with a beginning as ambitious as this is proving to be.

Why am I doing this, then? Simple: I love to read, and I love to write. Over the years I’ve discovered that, when I read a book, I’m going to decide if I like it. I’m then going to decide why. I’m then going to share these reasons with someone else. This is something inalterable about me. I will find myself going over the merits of The Lies of Locke Lamora or Perdido Street Station with classmates who haven’t willingly read a book in years and who couldn’t possibly care much less.

Reviewing is, as far as I can tell, the obvious solution here. I get to take something that I was going to do anyway, and I get to get something out of it. If not piles of money, then at least something more constructive than endless IM conversations about the merits of The Gathering Storm or Chasm City.

So, I’m not offering anything particularly new, or innovative, or, in all likelihood, particularly worthwhile. All the same, it will hopefully prove interesting. If you have an interest in reading and would like to read a – hopefully thoughtful - take on books you’ve read, or are considering reading, perhaps I can provide it. Perhaps not. No harm done, in that case. If you are interested, know that from this point on (February 9th, to be exact) I'll post a new entry every Tuesday and will focus mostly on science fiction, fantasy, and perhaps a touch of horror.

I think I’ve blathered enough here – you may want to note that nowhere in the above did I say I could be concise – and whatever I say here won’t change the quality of the blog’s content in the slightest. I think it’s time to get to some reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment